[R] Hardware Suggestions

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Sun Jan 23 17:03:30 CET 2005

We've been running servers with AMD Opterons (both duals and 4-ways) using SuSE
SLES 8 and Fedora Core 2 and 3 (64 bit).  All work well and R can access up to
~15GB of RAM on our 4-way machine (which has 16GB installed).  One of the Red
Hat Enterprise Linux versions comes with a buggy compiler but I can't remember
which version (there is some discussion on the R-devel mailing list archives).
Watch out for that.  I think using gcc 3.4.x solves that problem.

R pretty much compiles out of the box on AMD Opteron/Fedora Core 3 (64-bit)
Linux.  We've been very happy with our R experience so far.

-roger