[R] mcnemar.test odds ratios, CI, etc.

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jan 24 13:12:34 CET 2005

"Bliese, Paul D LTC USAMH" <paul.bliese at us.army.mil> writes:

> Does anyone know of another version of the Mcnemar test that provides:
>

> 1.  Odds Ratios
>
> 2.  95% Confidence intervals of the Odds Ratios
>
> 3.  Sample probability
>
> 4.  95% Confidence intervals of the sample probability
>

> Obviously the Odds Ratios and Sample probabilities are easy to calculate
> from the contingency table, but I would appreciate any help on how to
> calculate the confidence intervals.
>

> Below is a simple example of the test, and the corresponding output with
> the function mcnemar.test.
>

> > xtabs(~PLC50.T1+PLC50.T2,data=LANCET.DAT)
>
>         PLC50.T2
>
> PLC50.T1 0   1
>
>        0 464  22
>
>        1   6   1
>
> > mcnemar.test(xtabs(~PLC50.T1+PLC50.T2,data=LANCET.DAT))
>

>         McNemar's Chi-squared test with continuity correction
>

> data:  xtabs(~PLC50.T1 + PLC50.T2, data = LANCET.DAT)
>
> McNemar's chi-squared = 8.0357, df = 1, p-value = 0.004586

What is the "sample probability" in this context? The odds ratio is a
simple functional of the off-diagonal elements, and the conditional
distribution of those given their sum is just a binomial, so you can
use prop.test or binom.test to get estimate and confidence intervals
for the probability parameter and convert that to odds.

E.g.

> prop.test(6,28)

        1-sample proportions test with continuity correction

data:  6 out of 28, null probability 0.5
X-squared = 8.0357, df = 1, p-value = 0.004586
alternative hypothesis: true p is not equal to 0.5
95 percent confidence interval:
 0.09027927 0.41462210
sample estimates:
0.2142857