[R] lme and varFunc()

Christoph Scherber Christoph.Scherber at uni-jena.de
Tue Jan 25 09:57:36 CET 2005

Dear all,

Regarding the lme with varFunc() question I posted a few days ago: I
have used the following two approaches:

model1<-lme(response~Covariate+Block+TreatmentA+TreatmentB,random=~1|Plot/Subplot,method="ML")
model2a<-update(model1,weights=varPower(form=~ fitted(.)))
model2b<-update(model1,weights=varPower(form=~block))

While model2a produces an error
"Problem in .C("mixed_loglik",: subroutine mixed_loglik: Missing values in argument 1
Use traceback() to see the call stack"

Model 2b seems to work fine, now.

I´m not sure why model2a doesn´t work, but using an important explanatory variable (block) as a variance covariate seems to do a better job (although I don´t really understand why)

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Regards,
Chris.