[R] A "rude" question

Tim F Liao tfliao at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 27 16:21:12 CET 2005

I'm in agreement with Tom with respect to all the points he
made but two in particular:

Open code: very useful and much easier (than other software)
to make sure the trustworthiness of the function/library.  I
often do go into the code and make sure this is what I want
and it is a good way to find out the "meaning" of certain
parts of the output and to learn others' programming tricks.
And that's the power of R.

Pedigree of the contributors: top-notch.  I remember finding a
"bug" (having to do with detecting heteroscedasticity) in SAS
back in the early 90s and communicated to a SAS tech.  SAS was
considered the industry's standard back then, but contributed
mostly by professonal programmers.  In comparison, R's
libraries are contributed by statisticians who are at the
forefront of statistical methods research.

Tim