[R] Database Connection Problem with RMySQL package

BEER Michael michael.beer at unifr.ch
Sat Jan 29 12:07:48 CET 2005

> My setup is as follows:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP 5.1.2600
> MySQL 4.1.9
> R 2.0.1
> DBI 0.1-8
> RMySQL 0.5-5
>
> [...]
>
> > dbname="campus")
> Error in mysqlNewConnection(drv, ...) : RS-DBI driver: (could
> not connect root at localhost on dbname "campus")
>
> What am I doing wrong with?... It is really an annoying question.
> Thank you very much for your help and patience.

Make sure your MySQL server accepts pre-4.1-style passwords for the user
you log on with (cf. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html).
The MySQL library included in RMySQL 0.5-5 comes from the 4.0.18
distribution and uses an old authentication protocol that isn't
compatible with the one implemented in MySQL 4.1.x.

Hope this helps.

Michael