[R] Database Connection Problem with RMySQL package

John Bollinger bbands at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 15:53:22 CET 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:53:55 +0800, Willie Y. CHEN
<chenyong.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I failed to create a connection to the database under MySQL DBMS in
> the R system via RMySQL's method dbConnection(...).
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP 5.1.2600
> MySQL 4.1.9
> R 2.0.1
> DBI 0.1-8
> RMySQL 0.5-5
> Both of DBI and RMySQL packages were downloaded from bell lab:
>
> http://stat.bell-labs.com/RS-DBI/download/index.html
>
> My case in R is as follows:
>
> > library(DBI)
> > library(RMySQL)
> > mgr <- dbDriver("MySQL")
> > con <- dbConnect(mgr, user="root", pass="*******", host="localhost", dbname="campus")
> Error in mysqlNewConnection(drv, ...) : RS-DBI driver: (could not
> connect root at localhost on dbname "campus")
>
> What am I doing wrong with?... It is really an annoying question.
> Thank you very much for your help and patience.
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Willie Y CHEN
> --

Check RMySQL docs for how to use the .my.cnf file to make the
connection. We could not do it inline either, but when we put the info
into the file RMySQL worked fine.

See page three here:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/RMySQL.pdf

    jab

--
John Bollinger, CFA, CMT
www.BollingerBands.com

If you advance far enough, you arrive at the beginning.