[R] Startup Files (RProfile) and R-Aqua

Paul Roebuck roebuck at odin.mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Jan 31 08:31:26 CET 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Thomas Hopper wrote:

> I'm having some difficulty understanding the documentation relative to
> the startup files with R-Aqua 2.0.1 for Mac OS X.
>
> Specifically, I'm wondering: where does R search for the startup files
> (my home directory at Users:<me>:?); how should they be named
> (.RProfile will be treated by Mac OS X as a system file and be hidden,
> so I'm wondering if it should just be RProfile)? I can't find this
> platform-specific information in any of the documentation.

Should be "$HOME/.Rprofile" for user-level default setting and
will be hidden by Finder. It's not something you're going to be
changing daily anyway and can be modified using TextWrangler's
'Open Hidden..." menu option by non-Terminal users.

This is not platform-specific and is described in Appendix B of
'Introduction to R' (pg 85 of R-intro.pdf).

> As a related issue, where would I store my home-grown functions?
> Would .RProfile be a good place to keep them?

I keep .First and .Last and a couple functions that pose as
typing shortcuts in ".Rprofile". Anything else I source an
external file..

Create a subdirectory under "~/Library/R" and store functions
there if nowhere else makes sense.