[R] How to rotate the axisnames in a BARPLOT

Francisco J. Zagmutt gerifalte28 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 00:25:53 CEST 2005

Try the following.  I made this based on the eaxmple from FAQ 7.27

tab=table(rpois(100, 2))  #Creates table to make a barplot
par(mar = c(6, 4, 4, 2) + 0.1)#Prepares margin to fit x axis labels
pts=barplot(tab, xaxt = "n", xlab = "", col="yellow2")#Barplot of tab
without x axis or label.
#Also stores the middle points of the bars

axis(side=1,at=pts, labels=F, tick=T)#Creates x axis with tickmarks exactly
at the middle of the bars
nam=paste("Text",names(tab))#Names of each category. To be used on labels

text(pts, par("usr")[3] - 1.5, srt = 45, adj = 1, labels = nam, xpd = TRUE)
#Adds the tickmark labels
# adj = 1 will place the text at the end ot the tick marks
# xpd = TRUE will "clip" text outside the plot region

mtext(1, text = "My Axis Label", line = 4) #Adds x axis label at line 2

Second hit of  RSiteSearch("logarithmic axis barplot") takes you to barplot2
{gplots}

Cheers

Francisco