[R] Can't get sample function from "An Introduction to R" to work

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Jul 15 23:43:27 CEST 2005

"Bret Collier" <bret at tamu.edu> writes:

> David,
> If below is exactly what you typed, check your code again, I think you
> are missing a '}' after the last 2 parentheses.

That's not supposed to cause a syntax error, just another '+'.
I can copy and paste the code as written and not get an error:

> twosam<-function(y1, y2) {
+ n1<-length(y1);n2 <-length(y2)
+ yb1<-mean(y1); yb2<-mean(y2)
+ s1<-var(y1);s2<-var(y2)
+ s<-((n1-1)*s1 + (n2-1)*s2)/(n1+n2-2)
+ tst<-(yb1-yb2)/sqrt(s*(1/n1+1/n2))
+ }

Perhaps this was the 1st time David got his typing right? The error is
of the sort you'd get if you had

 s<-((n1-1)*s1 + (n2-1)*s2/(n1+n2-2)

or

 tst<-(yb1-yb2)/sqrt(s*1/n1+1/n2))