[R] Michaelis-menten equation

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fz-rossendorf.de
Wed Jul 20 12:56:25 CEST 2005

I believe the following is correct:
1.
first of all, as peter daalgaard already pointed out, your data Cp(t)
are following a straight line
very closely, i.e. 0.-order kinetics
2.
for your diff. eq. this means that you are permanently in the range cp
>> Km so that
dCp/dt = - Vm/Vd = const. =: -b and, therefore, Cp = a - b*t
3.
you can't get any reliable information concerning Km from the fit. the
solution of the diff. eq (according to Maxima),
namely t + const. = -(Km*log(Cp) + Cp)/(Vm/Vd) tells you the same:
Km*log(cp) << Cp in your data.
4.
in any case (even in the range Km ~= Cp) you can't determine Vm _and_ Vd
separately according to your diff. eq., you only get the ratio b =
Vm/Vd. this does make sense:
what you are measuring  is the decreasing plasma concentration, you
don't have any information
concerning the "relevant" volume fraction, i.e. the Vd, in you data.
therefore any variation in the effective
max. velocity can either be ascribed to a variation of Vm or to a
modified Vd. in other words:
you should view Vm* = Vm/Vd as your  "effective" Vm.
5.
x<-PKindex[,1]
y<-PKindex[,2]
res <- lm ( y~x ) yields a=8.561, b=Vm*= 0.279
summary(abs(residuals(r)/y)*100)
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
0.00863 0.09340 0.13700 0.26500 0.22900 1.37000

i.e. 0.265 percent deviation on average between data and fit. I believe
that is the max. information you can get from your data
((the result for "b" is  accidently is not so far away
from the ratio of your results Vm = 10.04, Vd = 34.99 which actually
must be completely unstable
(double both parameters and nothing happens to the fit).
6.
you state you simulated the data with km=4.69? using the above Vm and
Vd, the resulting data are (not unexpectedly)
quite different from those you used as input to the fit. maybe you made
an error somewhere "upstream"?
7.
in conclusion: don't try to fit Vm _and_ Vd separately, check whether
your simulated data are correct, keep in mind that if km<<Cp, you can't
fit Km (at least not reliably).