[R] odesolve/lsoda differences on Windows and Mac

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jul 27 22:51:30 CEST 2005

"Martin Henry H. Stevens" <HStevens at muohio.edu> writes:

> Hi -
> I am getting different results when I run the numerical integrator
> function lsoda (odesolve package) on a Mac and a PC. I am trying to
> simulating a system of 10 ODE's with two exogenous pulsed inputs to the
> system, and have had reasonably good success with many model parameter
> sets. Under some parameter sets, however, the simulations fail on the
> Mac (see error message below). The same parameter sets, however, appear
> to run fine for our computational technician on his PC, generating
> apparently very  reasonable data.

One thought: Integrating across input pulses is a known source of
"turbulence" in lsoda. You might have better luck integrating over
intervals in which the input function is continuous.

Tweaking the lsoda tolerances is another thing to try.

I haven't seen lsoda fail like that, but it's not too surprising that
marginal cases show platform dependency (i.e. the integrator just
fails on Mac and barely succeeds on PC).

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B