[R] Increasing Console "Paste Buffer"

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 00:47:05 CEST 2005

Manuel Morales wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I'm using R from the gnome-terminal in Fedora. My preference is to write
> programs in VIM, and then source the file from R, or copy and paste the
> lines into the console. I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the
> "paste buffer" as an alternative to "sourcing" large analyses. As was
> mentioned in a recent thread on Linux GUI's, I find that if I paste in a
> large amount of text, the lines end up getting cut off at some point. I
> wonder if this is an R restriction, because it seems like I am able to
> paste substantially more text in other console-based programs. Is there
> any way to increase the amount of text that I can paste into an R
> session?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Manuel

Manuel,

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "lines end up getting cut off at
some point" so correct me if I got it wrong, but I assume you mean that
after a certain number of lines entered you can no longer scroll back up
and view the earlier lines?

If this is the case, then, and again I assume you are using Gnome
(default in FC) as the desktop system, then open a terminal. The  Edit >
Current Profile in the menu bar for the terminal. Select the Scrolling
Tab. Alter Scrollback lines and kilobytes accordingly to suit. You only
need to do one, not both - I find it easier to think  in numbers of
lines so I changed that. You'll have to modify this if you use KDE or
another window manager with FC3.

HTH

Gavin