[R] Re: R GUI for Linux?

Jose Claudio Faria joseclaudio.faria at terra.com.br
Wed Jun 1 13:22:08 CEST 2005

Dears,

I know a little about Object Pascal language and I've been working (in the last
two years) with the Tinn-R development (www.sciview.org/Tinn-R).

This work started adapting Tinn (a good frame, but with limitations) as an R
script editor.

Tinn is a small ASCII file editor primarily intended as a better replacement
of the default Notepad.exe under Windows. Tinn is the recursive acronym
'Tinn is not Notepad'. Tinn-R is an extension of Tinn that provides additional
tools to control R (Rgui in MDI or SDI mode, see http://cran.r-project.org,
SciViews R console, see http://www.sciviews.org/SciViews-R) or S-Plus. As such,
Tinn-R is a feature-rich replacement of the basic script editor provided with
Rgui. It provides advanced syntax-highlighting, submission of code in whole, or
line-by-line, and many other useful tools to ease writing and debugging of R
code. Both Tinn and Tinn-R are distributed under the GPL 2 or above license.

So, I think (but I'm very suspicious), it's a nice R script editor running only
under Windows.

Otherwise, I don't know nothing about C/C++ language.
My question is, why we not provide (starting from an open source editor like
Bluefish, Kate, or another good editor under Linux) the resources of Tinn-R. I
think is not very hard (or impossible) translate the Tinn-R functions/procedures
from Object Pascal to C/C++.

I think (as coordinator of Tinn-R team) that we can help with this work. All we
need is start it and that one person (C/C++ programmer) coordinate the works.

Emacs + ESS, in my opinion, is not adequate for beginning.

Best regards,
--
Jose Claudio Faria
Brasil/Bahia/UESC/DCET