[R] "\n" in legend using substitute and as.expression

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jun 1 17:25:14 CEST 2005

Vumani Dlamini wrote:

> Dear R users,
> Is it possible to force a hard return in an expression. I tried
> including one for a legend using an expression and it didn't work. Here
> is my code,
> legend(12, 0.10, c("Fitted density",
>    as.expression(substitute(paste("Weibull (", alpha==shapeU," , ",
> beta==scaleU,") Mean = ",meanU," days"),
> list(shapeU = round(mle.r$estimate[1],3),
>         scaleU = round(mle.r$estimate[2],3),
>         meanU = round(mle.r$estimate[3),4)))) ),
>    lty=c(1,1),col=c(1,2),lwd=c(1,1),merge = TRUE)

Please try to specify *reproducible* examples. For the above example, we
do not have the plot and the data. Additionally, the stuff above is not
even syntactically correct as e.g. in:
     meanU = round(mle.r$estimate[3),4)))) ),
                                 ^ ^
It has been described in former messages on this list (hence in the
mailing list archives) that newlines are not really supported in the
"mathematical annotation environment".

Uwe Ligges