[R] showMethods doubt

Ernesto Jardim ernesto at ipimar.pt
Thu Jun 2 12:06:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm developing in S4 and I wanted to see the methods for a specific
class using showMethods but I didn't succed. Can someone help ? See the
example below.

setClass("myclass",
	representation(
		name	="character"
	)
)

setGeneric("mymeth", function(obj, ...){
	standardGeneric("mymeth")
	}
)

setMethod("mymeth", signature("myclass"), function(obj){
	print(paste("Hi,", obj at name, "and I don't know what to do with
showMethods !"))
	}
)

Now if you do:

 > myobj <- new("myclass", name="my name is joe")
 > mymeth(myobj)
[1] "Hi, my name is joe and I don't know what to do with showMethods !"

So the method is working, let's use showMethods:

 > showMethods(classes="myclass")

Function "addNextMethod":
<Empty Methods List>

Function "body<-":
<Empty Methods List>

Function "coerce":
<Empty Methods List>

Function "initialize":
.Object = "myclass"
     (inherited from .Object = "ANY")

Function "loadMethod":
<Empty Methods List>

Function "show":
object = "myclass"
     (inherited from object = "ANY")
NULL

mymeth does not show on that list, why ?

Regards

EJ