[R] Errors in Variables

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 16:55:46 CEST 2005

On Sun, 29 May 2005, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Spencer,

Exactly.  In fact this is easily reduced to a function of one variable
(the slope, known to lie between the y or x and x om y regressions) and so
optimize() would be more appropriate.  I did do that in S once upon a long
time, but it seemed too esoteric to package up (and it would take me
longer to find the code than to do it again).

My paper quoted originally deals with the case of known variances for each
of x and y (and heteroscedasticity in both).  It was written for chemists,
and contains all the formulae one needs.  In their applications knowing
(at least approximately) the variances is a reasonable assumption.

Brian