[R] glm with a distribution free family

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 5 09:58:24 CEST 2005

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Laetitia Mestdagh wrote:

> I am trying to fit a glm with a distribution free family, link = log and
> variance = constant*mu. I guess I have to use the quasi family but the
> choices of variance are restricted to constant or mu or mu^2..., I don't
> know the way to choose the variance that I need, i.e. constant*mu.

The constant in the variance specification is the dispersion parameter in
a glm, so quasi() does cover this.  Setting variance = "constant" actually
gives you 1 (look at the code).

If you know the constant you will need to specify it when calling e.g.
summary() or predict(): otherwise a moment estimator will be used.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk