[R] R Graph Gallery : categorization of the graphs

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 15:40:33 CEST 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Romain Francois wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>It seems that the next improvement to the R Graph Gallery is
>categorization of the graphics, that way each graph will be easier to
>find. That step should be done *carefully* if we want to avoid the
>opposite side-effect : graph not reachable through the categories.
>That's why the wisdom of the R community is required.
>Graphics will be classified in :
>   - categories
>   - sub-categories within those categories
>So far so good.
>The problem is the determination of those categories and sub-categories.
>Any thoughts are welcome.
>
>The gallery now has a TODO/WISHLIST :
>http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/WISHLIST.php that waits for your
>accurate comments.

I would humbly suggest that the underlying data (graphs/categories/etc) be
organized in such a way as to allow multiple categorizations. That way
there could be any number of different categorizations applied to the same
graphs, as one overall categorization may reflect only one particular
viewpoint.

This way the chosen categories (however you decide to choose) would not be
set in stone, but would be intimatly flexible.

Also a single graph should be allowed to occur under multiple categories
of a particular categorization.

Just what I would like to see :)

Dan.