[R] make install on solaris 10

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 16:14:38 CEST 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, roger koenker wrote:

> We have recently upgraded to Solaris 10 on a couple of sparc machines with
> the usual
> mildly mysterious consequences for library locations, etc, etc.  I've managed
> to configure
> R 2.1.0 for a 64 bit version with:
>
> R is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.10
>
>  Source directory:          .
>  Installation directory:    /usr/local
>
>  C compiler:                gcc -m64 -g -O2
>  C++ compiler:              g++  -m64 -fPIC
>  Fortran compiler:          g77  -m64 -g -O2
>
>  Interfaces supported:      X11
>  External libraries:        readline
>  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, MBCS, NLS
>  Options enabled:           R profiling
>
>  Recommended packages:      yes
>
> configure:47559: WARNING: you cannot build info or html versions of the R
> manuals
>
> and make and make check seem to run smoothly, however "make install" dies
> with
> the following messages:

As far as I can see something has deleted doc/html/resources.html: it is
in the tarball. I cannot immediately guess what: have you done any sort of
`make clean'?

Copying it from the virgin sources and doing `make install' again should
fix this: if not perhaps you can keep an eye on what is apparently
removing it.

BTW, where did /usr/local/bin/install come from?  If that is not doing
what is expected, it could be the problem.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk