[R] R Graph Gallery : categorization of the graphs

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Mon Jun 6 17:48:31 CEST 2005

Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> Romain Francois wrote:
>
>> Graphics will be classified in :
>>   - categories
>>   - sub-categories within those categories
>> So far so good.
>
>  Maybe, maybe not! Would a system of keywords work better than strict
> hierarchical categories, as long as plots can have more than one keyword
> attached? Someone might be interested in all 3d plots, or all plots
> related to model fitting, and these categories may not be distinct!
>
> Barry

The whole point of a gallery is to show something to the user before the
user knows what he is looking for. The R help functions currently
available are hopeless when you have a picture of a graph in your head
without knowing the required commands.

Thus a gallery based on some categorization is required. The gallery
already has a search facility for 'un-categorized' searching. At the
same time the gallery will provide cross links between different graphs
using the same command/package or other similarities.

I suggested that the categorization for sigmaplot graphs could be a
useful start:
http://www.systat.com/products/SigmaPlot/productinfo/?sec=1003

The gallery is based on a database, so keyword searching is no problem.

Of course graphs will likely be members of more then one sub-category.
This is also no problem thanks to the database approach!

Hopefully we can agree on a categorization, such that we can start
populating the gallery!

Cheers,

Sander.

Dr Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences,
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel (work)      +27 (0)11 717 64 04
Tel (home)      +27 (0)18 297 44 51