[R] R Graph Gallery : categorization of the graphs

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Tue Jun 7 15:17:52 CEST 2005

Hi Romain,

You have stuck your neck out which is great. You are however not
responsible for all the work! Let others join in!

Thus a wiki could provide opportunities for other people to contribute!

I was suggesting that the wiki be used as a platform for people to
submit code examples and for people to discuss these examples! Did not
think this would replace the things you need to do to get the data into
the gallery!!

Maybe Nick would like to kick off the Rgraph wiki pages in the existing
Rwiki, following the debates we have had about the categorization!?

Cheers,

Sander.

Romain Francois wrote:

> Le 07.06.2005 12:36, Sander Oom a écrit :
>
>> I agree that a wiki to facilitate submission of graph code could be
>> very effective! Still needs to be well protected against vandalism.
>> Seems a regular backup, to facilitate a clean restore, is the best
>> approach.
>>
>> Romain, would you be willing to set up a wiki within the gallery.
>> Think the wiki and gallery should be close to each other in cyber space!
>>
> Sander,
>
> A lot of things are done after getting the code. Syntax highlighting for
> example. That can't (at least for now) be done online.
> Certain things will be wiki-like, the WISHLIST can be filled online, in
> a few days the keywors thing will come and users of the gallery will be
> able to fill it. Later, people will have the possibility to write a few
> words on a graph and not just give a note.
>
> Nevertheless, I don't think that all should be wikied.
>
>> I use DokuWiki privately and it works wonders.
>>
>> Guess the database design will require a bit of thought. For each
>> graph it should be possible to enter multiple categories and
>> sub-categories. then the gallery interface should dynamically build
>> galleries using these categories. Not sure if you would want to create
>> 'meta' categories to facilitate multiple categorization approaches!?
>>
> The keyword thing appears to be really popular and I think it's a good
> idea. Those keywords may be categorized in the future.
> That shouldn't be that hard to achieve that. The problem is time. R
> Graph Gallery is just something I am having fun with. ;-)
>

>> We could start with a limited list such as suggested by Chris to
>> populate the gallery in the first instance.
>>
>> Pleased to see this progress!!
>>
>> Sander.
>>
> Thanks to all people who responded to that thread.
> It really helped me understanding how the things have to be done.
>
> Regards,
>
> Romain

Dr Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences,
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel (work)      +27 (0)11 717 64 04
Tel (home)      +27 (0)18 297 44 51