[R] transform large matrix into list

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Jun 7 15:41:33 CEST 2005

Here's one way to do it:

   x1 x2
y1  1  2
y2  4  5
y3  7  8
> (L <- cbind(v=c(M), x=c(col(M)), y=c(row(M))))
     v x y
[1,] 1 1 1
[2,] 4 1 2
[3,] 7 1 3
[4,] 2 2 1
[5,] 5 2 2
[6,] 8 2 3

(The seemingly extraneous c()'s are to drop the dimensions of those
matrices.)

Are you sure your L[3, 3] is correct?

Also, for a 10K^2 M, L is going to take up over 1.1GB of memory!  You may
want to look at SparseM and Matrix packages, which have facilities for
handling sparse matrices.

Andy