[R] How to change the value of a class slot

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Tue Jun 7 23:54:14 CEST 2005

Berton Gunter wrote:
>>Second, in my experiments I couldn't get setReplacementMethod to work:
>>
>>"bumpIndex<-" <- function(pm, value) {
>>  pm at i <- pm at i+as.integer(value)
>>  pm
>>}
>>
>># I get an error without the next function definition
>>bumpIndex <- function(pm) pm at i
>>
>>setReplaceMethod("bumpIndex",
>>                 signature=signature(pm="CompletePathMaker",
>>                   value="numeric"), bumpIndex)
>>

> 'bumpIndex' is apparently not a generic function (created by setGeneric)
> signature is not an argument to setReplaceMethod
> The ... argument to setReplaceMethod must include a function to do the
> replacement, which is why you need the bumpIndex function (I agree that this
> is not cleanly documented, but it's fairly easy to see since
> setReplaceMethod calls setMethod and that requires the function argument).
>
> so I don't see why you expect this to work at all. At the very least,
> shouldn't you do what the documentation tells you to? I think that you are
> expecting R to work according to your paradigm rather than trying to
> understand how it actually works. If you feel that R's paradigm (and/or
> documentation) is too awful to bother with, you might consider the R.oo
> package, which does OOP an entirely different way.

I have not followed the thread before, but here is an how it could look
like with R.oo:

setConstructorS3("CompletePathMaker", function(index=0) {
   extend(Object(), "CompletePathMaker",
     index = as.integer(index)
   )
})

setMethodS3("increase", "CompletePathMaker", function(this, dindex=+1) {
   this$index <- this$index + as.integer(dindex);
   # You do not have to return anything here....
})

cpm <- CompletePathMaker()
cpm$index <- 3
increase(cpm, 2)
print(cpm$index)

To add some control of what type of values you can assign to 'index',
you can define a virtual field function set<Field>(), e.g.

setMethodS3("setIndex", "CompletePathMaker", function(this, index) {
   if (!is.numeric(index) || length(index) != 1)
     stop("Argument 'index' must be a single numeric: ", mode(index));
   if (index < 0)
     stop("Argument 'index' must be non-negative: ", index);
   this$index <- as.integer(index);
   # ... or here.
})

cpm$index <- 4
cpm$index <- -3  # Gives an error as wanted!

(Again...) note that setConstructorS3() and setMethodS3() are
conveniency wrappers to define the CompletePathMaker(),
increaseBumpIndex.CompletePathMaker() and
setBumpIndex.CompletePathMaker(). The implementation of references is
taken care of by the special class Object, which also implements support
for virtual fields.

/Henrik