[R] Bounding or constraining parameters in non-linear regressions

mwdavis@nist.gov mwdavis at nist.gov
Wed Jun 8 02:52:05 CEST 2005

Dear R-Users,

Being an engineer and not a statistician, my desired course of action may
either be impossible or very simple.

I am attempting to fit a non-linear model to some measured data.  One term in
the model contains a square-root, but in the course of regression, this term
turns negative and an error occurs.  I started using Micrsoft's Excel Solver,
and then I turned to NIST's Datplot statistical package.  I can constrain in
Solver, but it violates those constraints. :)  Dataplot does not have the
capability to constrain parameters.

Does R have the capability to constrain or bound parameters in non-linear
regressions?

Thanks,
Mark Davis