[R] Re: how to define functions in such a situation

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jun 8 03:49:58 CEST 2005

I've already given you an example (ecdf).  You can look at the polynom
package as well.  Try:

install.packages("polynom")
library(polynom)
as.function.polynomial

Here's one trivial example:

> f <- function(type) { g <- if (type == 1) cos else sin; g; }
> myfun1 <- f(1)
> myfun2 <- f(2)
> myfun1(pi)
[1] -1
> myfun2(pi)
[1] 1.224606e-16

As I said, reading the R Language Definition manual or S Programming helps a
lot.

Andy