[R] linking R to goto blas

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jun 12 17:23:00 CEST 2005

Stefan Sobernig <stefan.sobernig at wu-wien.ac.at> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I am currently trying to link R 2.1.0 to the GOTO BLAS 0.99.3 library on
> a box running Fedora Core 3 , basically following the steps indicated in
> the R-Admin document:
>
> 1: I downloaded the current libgoto.xxx.so from
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kgoto/libraries/libgoto_prescott-32-r0.99-3.so.gz,
> a version suitable for our XEON machine (Nocona core), unpacked it to
> /usr/lib and created a symlink libgoto.so pointing to the library.
>
> 2: Then, I got ready to re-configure and re-compile R (2.1.0) using the
> following configure flags: ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-R-shlib
> --enable-shared --with-tcltk --with-blas="-lgoto -lpthread -lm"
> Please, I highly appreciate any thoughts or hints as my colleagues and I
> are eager to get into GOTO's universe.

Hmm. Looks over-complicated to me. What works for me on AMD64 is to
have a config.site file in my BUILD-GOTO directory, containing

> cat config.site
BLAS_LIBS="-L/home/pd/GOTO -lgoto_opt64p-r0.96 -lpthread"
CFLAGS="-O3 -g"
#CFLAGS="-g"
FFLAGS=$CFLAGS
CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

(the .*FLAGS business is optional, of course). With this in place, a
simple ../R/configure followed by make seems to do the trick.

I'll give it a try on my FC3 system, but it's a 500 MHz PIII, so it
takes a while...

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph: (+45) 35327918