[R] To many NA's from mean(..., na.rm=T) when a column is all NA's

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com
Mon Jun 13 19:19:27 CEST 2005

Jim Robison-Cox wrote:
> Dear R-help folks,
>
> I am seeing unexpected behaviour from the function mean
> with option na.rm =TRUE (which is removing a whole column of a data frame
> or matrix.
>
> example:
>
> testcase <- data.frame( x = 1:3, y = rep(NA,3))
>
> mean(testcase[,1], na.rm=TRUE)
> [1] 2
> mean(testcase[,2], na.rm = TRUE)
> [1] NaN
>
>   OK, so far that seems sensible.  Now I'd like to compute both means at
> once:
>
>   lapply(testcase, mean, na.rm=T)   ## this works
> $x
> [1] 2
>
> $y
> [1] NaN
>
>   But I thought that this would also work:
>
> apply(testcase, 2, mean, na.rm=T)
>  x  y
> NA NA
> Warning messages:
> 1: argument is not numeric or logical: returning NA in:
> mean.default(newX[, i], ...)
> 2: argument is not numeric or logical: returning NA in:
> mean.default(newX[, i], ...)

> mean(x, na.rm=T) works on that column, returning NaN, but fails using
> apply, in that apply returns NA for ALL columns.
>   lapply works fine on the data frame.

Did you try this with a "matrix" or just a data.frame?

>   If you wonder why I'm building data frames with columns that could be
> all missing -- they arise as output of a simulation.  The fact that the
> entire column is missing is informative in itself.
>

>   I do wonder if this is a bug.

Your problem is not ?apply, but ?as.matrix, which apply calls. Hint: Try
as.matrix(testdata) and see what it returns.

If you need a matrix, why construct a data.frame? The following will
give you what you want:

x <- matrix(c(1:3, rep(NA, 3)), nc = 2)
apply(x, 2, mean, na.rm = TRUE)

or better yet,

colMeans(x, na.rm = TRUE)

Note, that colMeans may give NA instead of NaN for column 2. See
?colMeans for an explanation.

HTH,

--sundar