[R] RGui crashes on wle call

Chris Bergstresser chris at subtlety.com
Wed Jun 15 05:16:28 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Chris Bergstresser wrote:
>>    I'm seeing the following commands reliably produce a crash in RGui,
>> version 2.0.1, for both my home and office machine:
>>
>> > rm(list = ls(all = TRUE));
>> > load("dataset.R");
>> > library("wle");
>> > data.wle = wle.lm(abortion ~ year * lib.con + age + gender +
>> + urbanism + census + income + church.att + children + educ +
>> + religion.imp, data = data.set);
>>
> 1) Re-do the tests in the current version of R, preferably a beta of 2.1.1.

    Yeah -- I upgraded to R 2.1.0, and it still reliably crashes.

> 2) Read the rw-FAQ, do the debugging reported there (with Dr MinGW or
> gdb) and find where it is crashing.  (This is very likely to be in wle.)
> If it is in wle, send a report to the maintainer.  If it is in R, send a
> report to R-bugs.

    I'm a little loath to download and install a debugger, as I've never
done it before.  I don't even know what to look for if I were to install it.

 > In either case, supply enough data to reproduce the
> problem.

    I can easily provide the datafile which seems to be causing it.
It's only 200k, so if anyone is interested in pursuing the matter I'd be
happy to send it to them.  This is on Windows XP, btw.

-- Chris