[R] umlauts in Rd files

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jun 15 19:12:14 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> UTF-8 for latex does not work well (as yet, at least: there is now a
> utf8 encoding that allows at least the first plane (Latin-1) to work).
> So it would be much better to use Latin-1 for the file and mark it
> with \encoding{latin1} and mark specifically with \enc{Möbius}{Mobius}
> or your preferred transliteration.
>
> The problem is not really for Latin-2 (which does have a and o
> diaeresis), but languages such as Japanese and Chinese which only have
> ASCII.  So the transliteration is for people without any accents in
> their charset.

Right, I misremembered about odiereses (looks like font tables want to
spell it like that). The Danish ae, oslash, aring are absent in
Latin-2 though.

The utf8 encoding for LaTeX seems a bit better than just Latin 1. See
http://www.unruh.de/DniQ/latex/unicode/tables/

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph: (+45) 35327918