[R] possible bug in merge with duplicate blank names in 'by' field.

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 16 23:59:56 CEST 2005

Run this:

>p <- c('a', 'c', '', ''); a <- c(10, 20, 30, 40); d1 <-
>data.frame(Promoter=p, ip=a) # Note duplicate empty names in p.
>p <- c('b', 'c', 'd', ''); a <- c(15, 20, 30, 40); d2 <-
>data.frame(Promoter=p, ip=a)
>all <- merge(x=d1, y=d2, by="Promoter", all=T)
>all <- merge(x=all, y=d2, by="Promoter", all=T)
>all

Data is this:

>d1
>   Promoter ip
>1        a 10
>2        c 20
>3          30
>4          40
>
>d2
>   Promoter ip
>1        b 15
>2        c 20
>3        d 30
>4          40

Output looks like this:

>   Promoter ip.x ip.y ip
>1            40   30 30
>2            40   40 30
>3            40   30 40
>4            40   40 40
>5        b   15   NA NA
>6        c   20   20 20
>7        d   30   NA NA
>8        a   NA   10 10

The weird thing about this is (in my view) that each instance of '' is
considered unique, so with each successive merge, all combinatorial
possibilities are explored, like a SQL outer join (Cartesian product). For
non-empty names, an inner join is performed.

Dealing with genomic data (10^4 datapoints), it's easy to have a couple of
blanks buried in the middle of things, and to combine several replicates
with successive merges. I couldn't understand how my three replicates of
6000 points, in which I expected  substantial overlap in the labels, were
taking so long to merge and ultimately generating 57000 labels. The culprit
turned out to be a few hundred blanks buried in the middle.

Why does the empty ("null") name merit special treatment? Perhaps I'm
missing something. I hesitate to submit this as a bug, since technically I
guess you could say that blank names, especially duplicates, are not
kosher. But on the other hand, this combinatorial behaviour seems to occur
only for blanks.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons