[R] Rmpi installation over MPICH

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Jun 17 14:35:48 CEST 2005

This is a rather obscure question, I realize.  I have written to the
package author but have not heard back as of yet.  I have read the
README in the package, as well, but it didn't give me enough detail to
diagnose the problems that I am having.  (I did edit out the LAM-MPI
check in zzz.R.in.)

I am working to install Rmpi on top of MPICH on a beowulf cluster.
Below is the output of the install command (which seems to go OK and
then the start of the R session, which fails.  I was hoping someone
with some experience installing Rmpi on MPICH could give me some help
with doing so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Sean

[sdavis at beowulf Rmpi]$ R CMD INSTALL
--configure-args=--with-mpi=/opt/lib32/usr/lib
--library='/home/sdavis/R/library' ../Rmpi_0.4-9.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'Rmpi' ...
Try to find mpi.h ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking mpi.h usability... yes
checking mpi.h presence... yes
checking for mpi.h... yes
Try to find libmpi ...
checking for main in -lmpi... yes
Try to find liblam ...
checking for main in -llam... no
liblam not found. Probably not LAM-MPI
checking for openpty in -lutil... yes
checking for main in -lpthread... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
config.status: creating R/zzz.R
** libs
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\"
-DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1
-DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1
-DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1
-DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1    -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC  -O2 -g -pipe
-march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -c conversion.c -o conversion.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\"
-DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1
-DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1
-DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1
-DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1    -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC  -O2 -g -pipe
-march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -c internal.c -o internal.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\"
-DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1
-DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1
-DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1
-DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1    -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC  -O2 -g -pipe
-march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -c Rmpi.c -o Rmpi.o
gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o Rmpi.so conversion.o internal.o Rmpi.o
-lmpi -lutil -lpthread
** R
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading

** help
  >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'Rmpi'
      Formats: text html latex example
   hosts                             text    html    latex
   internal                          text    html    latex
   mpi.abort                         text    html    latex
   mpi.barrier                       text    html    latex
   mpi.bcast                         text    html    latex
   mpi.bcast.Robj                    text    html    latex
   mpi.bcast.cmd                     text    html    latex
   mpi.comm                          text    html    latex   example
   mpi.comm.disconnect               text    html    latex
   mpi.comm.free                     text    html    latex
   mpi.comm.inter                    text    html    latex
   mpi.comm.set.errhandler           text    html    latex
   mpi.comm.spawn                    text    html    latex
   mpi.const                         text    html    latex
   mpi.exit                          text    html    latex
   mpi.finalize                      text    html    latex
   mpi.gather                        text    html    latex
   mpi.get.count                     text    html    latex
   mpi.get.processor.name            text    html    latex
   mpi.get.sourcetag                 text    html    latex
   mpi.info                          text    html    latex
   mpi.init.sprng                    text    html    latex
   mpi.intercomm.merge               text    html    latex
   mpi.parallel.sim                  text    html    latex
   mpi.probe                         text    html    latex
   mpi.reduce                        text    html    latex
   mpi.remote.exec                   text    html    latex
   mpi.scatter                       text    html    latex
   mpi.send                          text    html    latex
   mpi.send.Robj                     text    html    latex
   mpi.sendrecv                      text    html    latex   example
   mpi.spawn.Rslaves                 text    html    latex
   mpi.universe.size                 text    html    latex
** building package indices ...
* DONE (Rmpi)
[sdavis at beowulf Rmpi]$ mpirun -np 1 R

R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.1.0  (2005-04-18), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

 > library('Rmpi',lib='~/R/library')

  Rmpi version: 0.4-9
   Rmpi is an interface (wrapper) to MPI APIs
  with interactive R slave functionalities.
  See `library (help=Rmpi)' for details.

  unable to load shared library
'/home/sdavis/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so':
   /home/sdavis/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
In addition: Warning message:
Cannot start LAM/MPI. Exit in: f(libname, pkgname)
Error in library("Rmpi", lib = "~/R/library") :
  .First.lib failed for 'Rmpi'
Error in dyn.unload(x) : dynamic/shared library
'/home/sdavis/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so' was not loaded

And the library file is there....
[sdavis at beowulf libs]$ ls -la
-rwxr-xr-x    1 sdavis   sdavis      46756 Jun 15 17:51 Rmpi.so
[sdavis at beowulf libs]$ pwd
/home/sdavis/R/library/Rmpi/libs