[R] possible bug in merge with duplicate blank names in 'by' field.

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:46:10 CEST 2005

Thanks for your quick responses, Gabor and Brian.

I'm currently running R version 1.9.1 on Linux. Actually, I have just
tested this on R v.2.1.0 running under Windows XP, and indeed, as you both
indicate, the problem does not exist on that version for that OS. So, at an
appropriate time I'll upgrade my Linux installation to the most recent
version (1.9.1 is a year old, I guess).

-Frank

At 03:26 AM 6/17/2005, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>What version of R is this (please do see the posting guide)?
>
>In both 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 beta I get
>
>>all
>   Promoter ip.x ip.y ip
>1            30   40 40
>2            40   40 40
>3        a   10   NA NA
>4        c   20   20 20
>5        b   NA   15 15
>6        d   NA   30 30
>
>so cannot reproduce your result. Are you sure that the `blanks' really are
>empty and not some character that is printing as empty on your unstated OS?
>
>BTW ' ' is what is normally called `blank'.
>
>BTW, these are not `names' but character strings: `names' has other
>meanings in R.

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons