[R] Trying to build R sources on Windows

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Jun 18 14:34:08 CEST 2005

Bill Northcott wrote:

> I am trying without success to build the R-2.1.0 sources on Windows
> 2003 server.
>
> I have MinGW/bin in front of cygwin/bin in the Windows path.
>
> However, I try to build, I get failures trying to include headers
> which are not part of MinGW.  I am definitely using the MinGW
> compilers, so why are the sources trying to access headers which are
> not included?
>
> Examples would be:
> argz.h included from l10nflist.c
> alloca.h from errors.c
> langinfo.h from main.c
>
> Any clues about what I am doing wrong?

I don't think it is a good idea to leave cygwin in your path for
compiling R, even using it prior to the build process might be
dangerous, because you might use another version of cygwin(1).dll than
the one in the tools collection etc.

Just set your path again without having cygwin in it..., this should be
sufficient if you have all other relevant tools installed and in your path.

Uwe Ligges