[R] how 'stepAIC' selects?

Ruben Roa RRoa at fisheries.gov.fk
Sat Jun 18 15:42:27 CEST 2005

As a complement to what Uwe said, you may want to consider that Sakamoto
et al., in p. 84, Ch. 4, Remark 2, of "Akaike Information
Criterion Statistics", 1986, KTK Scientific Publishers, write "From the relation
between AIC and the entropy, if the differences of AIC's for MODEL(j) and
MODEL(k) is larger than 1~2, then the difference is considered to be
significant". Unfortunately I could not find any further ellaboration of this
corollary anywhere in the book, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Additionally,
you may want to work with "evidence ratios" and Akaike weights, as recommended
in Burnham and Anderson, "Model Selection and Multimodel Inference", 2002,
Springer. I am under the impression that to try to interpret the AIC in terms of
sampling-distribution inference theory, such as in signficance tests, is to miss the
point.
Ruben