[R] Fedora Core 4

plummer@iarc.fr plummer at iarc.fr
Sun Jun 19 22:29:48 CEST 2005

The Fedora upgrade process should normally install backward compatibility
libraries when it finds an RPM linked to a library (or library version) that
isn't in the new release.  In this case "compat-libf2c-32" provides libg2c on
FC4, and it should be installed on your system if you previously had R for FC3
installed. So R should continue to work.  But it will break when you start
compiling packages on the new system because the configuration information in
the file /usr/lib/R/etc/Makeconf is obsolete. Hopefully this situation will
occur rarely, because there isn't really a way to deal with it automatically.

I'm pretty sure the current R RPM for FC4 on Red Hat Extras is broken. The RPM
build process adds a lot of compiler flags. R 2.1.1 doesn't pass "make
check-all" when built with these flags (and if you try the legacy compilers
Marc mentioned, it doesn't even get past the configure step). A close look at
the spec file from Red Hat shows that this line has been commented out, which
was a mistake.  I'll try to ensure that their next release works. In the mean
time, I am bumping up the Epoch number of my RPMs to 1 so they should be
considered an "upgrade" of the Red Hat ones.

Martyn.

Compiling R 2.1.1 on FC4 with gcc4