[R] Problem trying to use boot and lme together

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 00:09:36 CEST 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On 6/21/05, Søren Højsgaard <Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk> wrote:
>> The problem with simulate.lme is that it only returns logL for a given model fitted to a simulated data set  - not the simulated data set itself (which one might have expected a function with that name to do...). It would be nice with that functionality...
>> Søren
>
> You could add it.  You just need to create a matrix that will be large
> enough to hold all the simulated data sets and fill a column (or row
> if you prefer but column is probably better because of the way that
> matrices are stored) during each iteration of the simulation and
> remember to include that matrix in the returned object.

Note: you don't need to store it: you can do the analysis at that point
and return the statistics you want, rather than just logL.

I did say `see simulate.lme', not `use simulate.lme'.  I know nlme is no
longer being developed, but if it were I would be suggesting/contributing
a modification that allowed the user to specify an `extraction' function
from the fit -- quite a few pieces of bootstrap code work that way.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk