[R] predict.coxph fitted values for failure times

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 11:18:14 CEST 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Dan Bebber wrote:

> I would like to extract predicted failure times from a
> coxph model in library(survival). However, none of the
> prediction options ("lp", "risk", "expected", "terms")
> seem to bear any relationship to failure time.
>
> Perhaps I am asking the wrong question, but can coxph
> provide predicted failure times?

Strictly no, as a Cox proportional hazards model does not model the
baseline hazard.  However, there is a coxph method for survfit() which
allows you to predict the survival distribution for the fitted or new
data, presumably using Breslow's estimator of the baseline hazard.
There's an example on the help page and more in MASS (the book and its
scripts).

Unfortunately the help page is misleading, documenting only the
"km" method as if it were the generic (and using \synopsis to avoid
this being flagged).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk