[R] analyzing suvival data using splines (a.k.a., piecewise log-hazard-ratio models)

Wittner, Ben Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 22 23:00:19 CEST 2005

I'm looking for software that makes plots such as fig 4 (a)-(e), fig 5 anf fig 7
of
Gray, Robert, "Flexible Methods for Analyzing Survival Data Using Splines, with
Applications to Breast Cancer Prognosis," 1992, J Am Stat Assoc, pp 942-51.

In other words, I'm looking for software that takes survival data and a
continuous
covariate as input and computes a curve giving log hazard ratio (or rate of
failure for
a specific time) as a function of the continuous covariate, as well as curves
giving
+-SE for that curve.

A plot of this nature can also be found as figure 4 in Paik, et al., "A
Multigene Assay to
Predict Recurrence of Tamoxifen-Treated, Node-Negative Breast Cancer," 2004, New
England
Journal of Medicine, pp 2817-26.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Ben

Ben Wittner
Research fellow, MGH & Harvard Medical School
wittner.ben at mgh.harvard.edu