[R] How to read an excel data into R?

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Thu Jun 23 04:50:07 CEST 2005

Ling,

   If  any column has text with spaces between words, this will lead
to the "more columns ..." problem.
Delete the spaces and try again.

e.g., if the Excel file is
Var1	Var2	Var3
text	1	2
more text	3	4
yet more	5	6
and more	7	8
blahblah	9	10

On a Mac, this will lead to the error message
"Error in scan(file = file, what = what, sep = sep, quote = quote,
dec = dec,  :
	line 1 did not have 4 elements"
(which I believe is the equivalent message to what you are getting on a PC)

But, if your remove the blanks in column 1, this reads as

>  x <- read.table("test.txt",header=T)
       Var1 Var2 Var3
1     text    1    2
2 moretext    3    4
3  yetmore    5    6
4  andmore    7    8
5 blahblah    9   10

with no error message.

Alternatively,  for small files, if using a PC try copying the Excel
spreadsheet to your clipboard and

x  <- read.table(file("clipboard"), header = TRUE) or, if using a Mac

x  <- read.table(pipe("pbpaste"), header = TRUE)

Bill

--
William Revelle		http://pmc.psych.northwestern.edu/revelle.html
Professor			http://personality-project.org/personality.html