[R] function for "two-part" or "two-condition" models

Andrew Robinson andrewr at uidaho.edu
Tue Jun 28 01:22:43 CEST 2005

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure that I can imagine how data can have too many zeros to be
fit well with zero-inflated Poisson models. Won't the excess zeros be
accommodated by increasing the the inflation?

In any case, if you want a model that separates the zeros from the
occurrences before fitting a Poisson model to account for variation in
abundance then it might be safest to do that split manually.

Another angle to try is to treat it as a special case of a finite
mixture regression.  I think that some of Jim Lindsey's code will fit
such models. Google can help you find his wbsite.

An MS student of mine explored these models for regeneration modeling.
I'd be happy to send you a pdf of his thesis if it would help.

Cheers,

Andrew