[R] STAR models estimation with R

Phineas Campbell pcampbell at econ.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 15:10:59 CEST 2005

The only STAR model I have come across is Smooth Threshold Autoregressive
time series model, see Tong, Non Linear Time Series.  I am not aware of any
package that has implemented threshold models.

Because statistical techniques are used widely across many different
disciplines it is inevitable that naming conventions will diverge, so the
same technique may have different names in different areas of study.

Perhaps it should be added to the posting guide that most general name of a
technique should be used, and in the case of more obscure techniques a brief
reference to a standard text or paper.

Hamilton, see Time Series Analysis, uses the EM algorithm to estimate such
models so it should be possible to do in R.

HTH

Phineas Campbell