[R] problems with Rd format

Renaud Lancelot renaud.lancelot at cirad.fr
Tue Mar 1 07:45:10 CET 2005

Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Renaud Lancelot wrote:
>
>> Dear R-helpers,
>>
>> I have an Rd file with a section:
>>
>> \details{
>>  The model is:\cr
>>  \eqn{y | \lambda ~ Binomial(n, \lambda)},\cr
>>  [snip]
>>  }
>>
>> I would like the equation line to be indented, with a \tab character
>> for example. How can I do that ?
>

> Well, use markup that allows \tab: if you want a table, use \tabular.
> But if you find yourself doing this, you are not in the spirit of layout
> languages, and Rd is a layout language.
>
>> Moreover, the panel of greek letters available in HTML files generated
>> from Rd files looks very limited (e.g., \eqn{\phi} produces phi, not
>> the corresponding greek letter). Is there a way to overcome this in
>> HTML files ?
>

> What HTML 4.0 _guarantees_ a browser can show is very limited, and does
> not include phi (at least according to my HTML 4.0 book).  So, not in
> strict HTML.

Thanks for your reply. I got a nice result (in text and HTML) with:

\details{
   The model is:\cr
   \tabular{lll}{
     \tab • \tab \eqn{y | \lambda ~ Binomial(n, \lambda)}, with
                 \eqn{\lambda ~ Beta(S1, S2)},\cr
     [snip]
     }
   [snip]
   }

What would be a solution "in the spirit of layout languages" ?

Best,

Renaud

--
Dr Renaud Lancelot, vétérinaire