[R] Sweave and \input or \include LaTeX commands

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Mar 1 13:08:25 CET 2005

 <Friedrich.Leisch <at> tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> I currently also plan only a \SweaveInput{},

I agree that its clearer to keep the two systems distinct rather
than having subtle changes in functionality depending on the
extension of the file in \input.

While we are discussing I just wanted to bring two related points up
regarding how Sweave and R CMD interact.

1. As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, if I don't
want R CMD CHECK to process a certain portion of my vignette
(since its involves lengthy processing or software that might not
be available on other systems) I place that portion into a file
called sub, say, with no extension so that R CMD CHECK does not know
its a Sweave file (and therefore automatically process it).  I then
process it manually with Sweave:  Sweave("sub") and in my main file,
main.Rnw, have an input statement

\input{sub.tex}

The only thing that's a bit confusing is that sub has no extension
but otherwise this has the intended effect of letting me circumvent
the R CMD CHECK for sub.   This is all ok, it works fine, but I
was just wondering if there are any clearer ways of achieving this
effect.  I guess I could use an extension such as .Rnw-hide or
use the .Rbuildignore file to mask it (although using .Rbuildignore
in that way has the disadvantage that it would be entirely excluded
from the build) but was just wondering if there is some standard way
of dealing with this situation.

2. A second problem that is related is that I think there should
be an easy way to include a .pdf vignette that was not generated
by Sweave or even latex.  Currently, as I under it, one must use
Sweave since the package building process uses the \VignetteIndexEntry
and associated commands to know how to process the build.  If this
is already possible then can someone indicate how its done.  Some
time ago I raised this point but no one responded at that time.

The above two points relate to the interaction between the check/build
and Sweave and may not even be about Sweave itself but the same problems
are involved so I thought its relevant to bring all considerations in
at this point.