[R] Users in Ukraine & cyrillic support

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 1 22:26:56 CET 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Hello, everybody:
>
> My friends in Ukraine are starting a research lab at a national
> university and they asked what programs to use.  I said "R" of course,
> and they then asked me 'what support does it have for Cyrillic'?

The development version (to become 2.1.0) supports a wide variety of
character encodings and has facilities for translation of error/warning
messages (though someone still has to do the translation).

See
   http://developer.r-project.org/descriptions.Encodings_and_R.html
and
   http://developer.r-project.org/Translations.html
for some descriptions

> Not to mention the problem that the documentation/manuals are in English.

This, of course, is a much bigger job and a more rapidly moving target.

 	-thomas