[R] looking for 3D plotting with real-time rotation

Wittner, Ben Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 1 22:48:47 CET 2005

I would like to plot points in 3D and then be able to rotate the plot in real
time in order to understand the distribution of the points using the visual
parallax that results from the rotation.

The R-package scatterplot3d will plot in 3D, but I've not found a way to rotate
the results in real time. (It also does not seem to get the projection from 3D
to a viewing plane right.)

The R-package rgl seems to support real-time 3D rendering using OpenGL, but it
appears to be lower-level than I'm looking for (i.e., it provide graphics
primitives, but not a plotting function that would take care of axis labels,
etc.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Ben