[R] Rconsole wishlist

Duncan Mackay Duncan.Mackay at flinders.edu.au
Fri Mar 4 05:00:20 CET 2005

Sorry, yes, Rgui under WinXP (SP2). But while Windows date stamps the
history file

> file.info(".Rhistory")
          size isdir mode               mtime               ctime
.Rhistory 5377 FALSE  666 2005-03-04 10:37:52 2005-03-04 10:37:52
                        atime
.Rhistory 2005-03-04 13:54:11

the problem is that there can be multiple sessions stored in .Rhistory and
the session dates aren't stored there. Moreover, it seems to me that the
history buffer can also overflow without warning after long sessions or many
repeated sessions and so that you can inadvertently lose parts of your
command log. (Is this right, anyone?) Perhaps it would be preferable for R
to save each session's command history in a separate history file, along the
lines of

.Last <- function() {
savefilename <- paste("Rhistory",date())
savefilename <- gsub(" ","_",savefilename)
savefilename <- gsub(":",".",savefilename)
savefilename <- paste(savefilename,".txt",sep="")
if(interactive())  try(savehistory(savefilename))
cat("Current history saved in file: ",savefilename,"\n")
}

but this doesn't address any overflow issues.

Duncan