[R] Basic stratification calculations

Clint Harshaw charshaw at presby.edu
Fri Mar 4 12:55:29 CET 2005

vito muggeo wrote:
> Hi,
> if I understand correctly, tapply() is your friend here,
>
> vito
>
> dvrecko at sfu.ca wrote:
>

>> Hi. I'm a student at SFU in Canada. The basic thing I want to do is
>> calculate means of different strata. I have 2 vectors. One has the
>> values I
>> want to take the means from, the other is the four strata I am interested
>> in. So I essentially want to break up the information vector into the
>> four
>> strata and calculate four means, one for each stratum. How can I do
>> this in
>> a reasonable way?
>>

>> Thanks very much.
>> Dean Vrecko
>>
>> PS: Incidentally I forget how to see the code of functions. Does anyone
>> remember the command to do this?

Would split(y,f) be of some help here? And then you could find the mean
for each level of f:

y.split <- split(y,f)
mean(y.split$"0")
mean(y.split$"1")
mean(y.split$"2")
mean(y.split$"3")

Clint

Clint Harshaw, PhD		EMail: charshaw at presby.edu
Department of Mathematics	Phone: 864.833.8995
Presbyterian College		Fax: 864.938.3769
Clinton SC  29325		Office: Harrington-Peachtree Rm 412