[R] calculating of linkage-disequilibrium measures?

Scott D Chasalow scott.chasalow at bms.com
Fri Mar 4 17:03:46 CET 2005

Taking a lead from Brian, the answer is "yes".  :-)

But just in case you were seeking a somewhat more detailed answer:
If phase is known, it is not only possible to compute all these LD
measures in R, it is much simpler.

For example, if you have alleles A and a at locus 1, and B and b at
locus 2, and you let p(i) = relative frequency of gamete genotype i,
then D = p(AB) - p(A)p(B).  If you have these relative frequencies
stored e.g. in a matrix, you don't really need a special function to
compute D.  D' is marginally more complicated, and worth a function.
(Unfortunately, I am not at present at liberty to send you mine.  But
I'm working on that.)  The R^2 statistic typically used in this context
is, for 2-allele loci, simply X2/N, where X2 is the Pearson X2 statistic
to test for association in the 2x2 table, and N is the number of
gametes.  You might find function chisq.test of interest.  Although, if
you want to do this for 100,000s of locus pairs, there are MUCH faster ways.

Cheers,
Scott