[R] here's why it make s sense

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Fri Mar 4 23:39:49 CET 2005

if you go

x[i]

you are giving x an "index vector", which we had mistakenly thought was
an integer. Rather, it is a vector of indices for observations.  Here's data

x <- c(1 , 4, 3, 2, 5)

x[1] would be 1
x[2] would bd 4

but if you put an "index vector" in the brackets, you have

x [ c(1,2,1,2] ]

it means take the first, the second, the first, the second, so

x [ c(1,2,1,2] ]

is

1, 4, 1, 4

So in the procedure diff.ttest, when we have x[i] and y[i], we mean
"take the vectors x and y after grabbing the index values selected for
each resample"

That page I sent you a minute ago is from R by Example, which I think is
quite great.

http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/KB/R/index.html

pj

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu