[R] S-code for piecewise regression

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Mar 5 09:25:49 CET 2005

Simon Chamaillé <s.chamaille at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Dear R-helpers,
> a S-code for piecewise regressions was provided by Toms & Lesperance
> (2003) Ecology, 84, 2034-2041 (paper can be found on the web).The code
> is quite complete with different types of transitions around
> breakpoints and model selection fonctions.
> It doesn't work directly under R due to some "translation" problems I
> guess. However I  reckon that  it would be a  valuable  add-on to R,
> so if anyone that knows both S and R syntax (I don't) doesn't know
> what to do during the week-end, it could provide some entertainment...
> attached is the code.

Umm, I don't think posting 1200 lines on nonworking code to r-help is
the right way to go about this, especially since the code is not
yours. I'm pretty sure you didn't read (or if you did, you certainly
didn't understand)

http://www.esapubs.org/archive/copyright.htm

which is the copyright stated on

http://www.esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E084/047/suppl-1.htm

> regards,
> simon
> " R is love" (L.D.)

The right way is of course to volunteer as maintainer for an R
package (maybe after finding someone to help you iron out the
wrinkles), contact the authors and the journal to get permission to
publish under the GPL and submit to CRAN.